Sunday, October 11, 2009

Cheesy Chicken Bake

I got this recipe off of a friend's recipe blog, and I had to share it. Check out the picture (and her blog) here. She has a lot of recipes we've used lately like Taco Lasagna and Cowboy Casserole...all of which have been added to my menu collection. I did however modify this recipe (see bottom to see my modifications).

Cheesy Chicken Bake

1 pkg. (6 oz.) Stuffing Mix for Chicken
1-1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces (or use canned chicken)
1 pkg. (14 oz.) frozen broccoli florets, thawed, drained
1 can (10-3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk
1-1/2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese

HEAT oven to 400ºF.
PREPARE stuffing as directed on package.
COMBINE chicken and broccoli in 13x9-inch baking dish. Stir in soup, milk and cheese; top with stuffing and a little more cheese.
BAKE 30 min. or until chicken is done and casserole is heated through.

Note: Instead of stuffing mix...because I'm too cheap to buy it and because I try to do a low sodium diet in our house...I made my own. I used this recipe for the stuffing:
3 c. soft bread crumbs
1/4 c. melted butter
2 Tbsp. chopped onion
1/4 tsp. sage
1/4 c. water

I also added 1 teaspoon of Chicken Bullion after doubling the recipe. I would only add 1 1/2 teaspoons if I quadrupled the recipe however.

Next time I make this I will quadruple the stuffing recipe. This time I only doubled/tripled...didn't measure 100%.

I also used canned chicken because it's Sunday and I was trying to keep the meal simple. Next time however we are going to grill chicken to put in it.

1 comment:

Holly's Days said...

Just passing by and saw this blog - am enjoying some of your recipes (hope you don't mind - I'm not your "sister", I am a "foodie"!)

With regard to this particular recipe my family found that renaming it "Chicken & Trees" (the broccoli = trees) made it much more appealing to little ones ... my beautiful niece, Lynsey, for one.