Sunday, November 29, 2009

Cream of Soup Substitute

Aimee posted a Cream Soup recipe a while back, I've always wanted to try it but I don't keep powdered milk in my food storage. As dumb as that may be I just never remember to buy it. So, when I ran across this recipe I was EXCITED! I really enjoy making things from scratch, particularly if they taste good...and this tastes AWESOME! Even Stuart noticed a difference, and he can't stand Cream of Mushroom soup.

I got this recipe from Chaos in the Kitchen (go ahead and click on the link to see their other fabulous recipes) and felt that I should share it with all of you (and it makes my life easier since I tend to forget to print off my recipes).

I happened to use this recipe to make Cream of Mushroom soup and had planned it that way so I had mushrooms on hand. I plan to not ever buy a can of cream soup again if I can help it. I also intend to find out how to can this stuff so I have it in my food storage.

Cream of Soup Substitute

makes 1 1/2 cup (about 1 can’s worth), prep 1 min, cook 10 min
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 4 small mushrooms, minced
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 cup low-fat milk
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • salt and pepper
  1. Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium-high heat.
  2. Add minced mushrooms and cook until softened. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  3. Sprinkle flour over mushrooms and use a whisk to combine.
  4. Cook the four, whisking often, until golden brown.
  5. Add milk and broth and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
  6. Once boiling and thickened continue to whisk and cook until thickened to your liking.
  7. Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.

This is great for those watching their sodium intake or their budget. You can flavor it any way you like. Substitute chicken bits and chicken base or celery and celery salt if you don’t want cream of mushroom soup. You can substitute water or veggie broth if you want to make it vegetarian. It also doubles just fine if you need two cans worth.

No comments: